- Finally organizing home office, so that second novel will "flow" out of me more efficiently. (Or at least, that’s what I tell myself.)
- Re-reading old letters between my high school boyfriend and me in the process of organizing. Lord, the drama! Lord, the romance! (And note to self and others: always save letters.)
- Going to book club and being absolutely blown away by the food served. Marinated pork tenderloin, twice baked potatoes, long, long, slow roasted tomatoes (six hours in the oven!), boozy, delicious rum cake!
Archive | Uncategorized RSS feed for this section
Okay, so my 3 things are supposed to be good/interesting things that happen to me each day, but I would be remiss in my chronicling if I did not mention:
- In the kitchen, in the shower, crawling through the cracks in the exposed brick behind the stove. Absolute antfestation.
And when there’s an antfestation, that pretty much takes up your day.
(Did eat a salad of fresh picked arugula and spinach from the garden. That sort of counter-balanced the ants. Except I was worried the whole time I was eating that I would soon see a little ant-y eating the greens along with me.)
- Soaking slices of old challah in a mixture of milk, an egg, some vanilla, some bourbon, a pinch of salt and a grind of nutmeg to make French toast for breakfast, then cooking the slices slowly in brown butter.
- Preparing bourbon balls, which I will put aside for a weak so the bourbon can thoroughly infiltrate the Nilla wafer crumbs, melted chocolate and chopped pecans.
- Eating bourbon balls at a Christmas party in Avondale Estates.
n.b. I am normally way wary of bourbon balls, as they always sound better than they taste. But I think I found a recipe that will live up to the hype. It’s from Karen Barker’s dessert cookbook, sweet stuff.